11.21 – 12.6
(by subject count)
Many parents think that Kumon is tutoring on homework, tests and exams based on the child’s immediate academic needs.
In fact, Kumon takes a relatively comprehensive and long-term approach in nurturing children. Together with parents, we want to nurture confident and self-disciplined children.
- Learn what your child can do
Kumon programme is not limited by school textbooks or school grades. Through the diagnostic test and observation, our instructors find what your child can do and what needs to be strengthened. The instructors formulate a personalized learning plan based on the child’s strengths and weaknesses, and target to improve his or her learning confidence and performance at the beginning.
- Let your child master a self-learning attitude that is useful for a lifetime
Kumon’s mission is to cultivate children’s self-learning attitude. Instead of step-by-step monitoring or nagging the child, instructors use unique Kumon worksheets and instruction methods to guide children to read examples and solve problems by themselves, and not rely on others. Even for new questions that the child does not fully understand, the child could use what s/he has previously studied, applying what is learnt.
Kumon’s learning contents cover from kindergarten level to high-school level. Kindergartners, elementary school students and high school students can learn with Kumon. With over 60 years of experience in education, we found that the sooner children begin, the easier they can build a good learning habit and be well-prepared for the future study. Therefore, we suggest parents have their children enrolled in Kumon once they reach the age of three.
The child has to go to the centre once a week, so the instructor can understand the recent learning situation and assign appropriate worksheets for the child to study at home daily. As every child (even if they are in the same school grade) has different start points and ability level, the time they stay in centre each time could be different. Generally it takes 30-45 minutes to complete a study flow.
The child should go to Kumon centre once a week.
- Enter the centre and submit homework to mark.
- Make corrections of the previous week’s homework (if any), and start the day’s classwork: Under the guidance of the instructor, your child will do corrections of last week’s homework, and then start concentrating on the classwork. After finishing the classwork, record the finishing time.
- Submit the classwork and do corrections: your child’s classwork is marked and s/he will correct the mistakes of the day’s classwork until it is all correct, obtain 100 marks and receive compliment from the instructor.
- Oral check/Learn with supplementary learning tools:
- Oral check with instructor (for language programs students)
- Flashcard practice (for elementary-level students of ERP or Chinese program)
- Count numbers, practice with the magnetic number board or the multiplication table
- Review the day’s performance with the instructor and understand the expectation and content of the newly assigned homework
Kumon emphasizes on “just-right level of learning” and thus the amount of work and progress are assigned according to the progress of your child, and the time they spend in class are different.
Generally speaking, it takes 30 minutes to finish homework daily. Kumon has its systematic worksheets. Step-by-step, from an easy starting point, your child can self-learn to an advanced level. It allows your child to tackle topics they have not learnt at school at ease. After they enter the advanced study, they learn from the examples and grasp the essence with their own ability, and at the same time it enhances their self-learning ability. They could perform well both academically and develop good personal qualities.
- Choose a nearby Kumon education center and make a reservation for Parents’ Orientation.
- Attend Parents’ Orientation at Kumon education center to know more about the Kumon Method.
- You child takes the Diagnostic Test. The instructor sets the most appropriate starting point and project the study progress for your child.
- Complete registration and let your child start studying Kumon!